Manners Monday: Picking Up a Friend

Monday, March 11, 2013



Happy Monday everyone! First of all I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to those who took the time to leave me a sweet comment here on the blog, a private message via e-mail, tweeted to me or shared a comment over on my Facebook Page regarding my recent baby news! All of your kind words and well wishes really blew me away, put a tear in my eye and made me smile. Even though we've never met in person, I feel truly blessed to have so many amazing women in my life through this blog. :)

Today's Manners Monday post was inspired by a neighbor who has someone pick her up and always honks loudly to let the whole neighborhood know that she has arrived. I thought it was time to share this tip here on the blog.

Call me old fashioned, but even in today's time with the simplicity of text messages and phone calls via a cell phone, there is something nice about having someone greet you at your door when they are picking you up, even if it's not a date. ;) I don't often get picked up by friends or family, unless we're taking one car somewhere together, typically I am the picker-upper or we agree to meet at the location. When I do get picked up, nothing makes me cringe more than when someone honks their horn to announce they've arrived. I'm generally ready and waiting in my kitchen where I have a window view of our front property and driveway so I can easily pop outside once I see them arrive to save them getting out of their car.

Unfortunately not everyone treats promptness the same way, you may be left waiting for a friend who is still getting herself together when you arrive. Be mindful of this when being picked up by a friend, it is best to be ready 5 minutes before you agree to meet so that you don't keep the person doing the driving, waiting. If this does happen while you are the driver, it is perfectly polite to return to your car to sit inside the heat or air conditioning where it's comfortable after having knocked on their door and spoken to them unless you are invited into your friend's home instead.




If you happen to be arriving at an apartment or condo building with a gate code and buzz code, elevators, etc., etc., in this case (because of the time involved and sequence of events just to get upstairs) it would be more acceptable to call up to a friend and let them know that you have arrived and where you're located out front. If it is an elderly family member you are meeting or friend you haven't seen in a long time, do make the trip upstairs and greet them personally, it will mean a lot.

If you liked today's post, you might also enjoy a previous post I wrote on Manners and Etiquette for Driving which is where I first mentioned about the 'no honking when picking up friends' tip. ;)

Do you have someone who is guilty of the dreaded 'car honking' when picking you up? How do you prefer to let a friend know that you have arrived? I'd love to hear from you! :)

Thanks for Reading!

XO