Monogram Monday

Monday, September 14, 2009
Anyone that knows me well could tell you that I love love love Monograms! They would also proceed to tell you that I adore everything nautical and beachy, hounds tooth prints, polka dots, damask prints, the eiffel tower and chandeliers but that's a post for another day. Monograms are just so classic and I just really enjoy seeing all the ways I can take something as generic as table napkins and transform them into something unique and customized. Monogrammed items also make for a classy, special gift too!

One of my first monogram projects was when I was about 13, it was a set of wine glasses for my parents using glass etching paste and stencils. I later used the same etching paste to customize a vanity mirror too.

Today I came across this elegant and FREE monogrammed clip art from the Martha website, while looking for some printables for making gift tags and to use on my handmade cards. I wish there were numbers too as I'm looking to make my dad a speacial card for his upcoming milestone birthday.
I know there are many other monogram lovers out there too so I thought I'd share some of the neat designs and ideas I came across this afternoon.....


Luggage Tags


These are from Etsy made with Martha Stewart papers which can be found here. Great to add some personalization to a beach bag, diaper bag or your luggage so it can easily be spotted!


Fall Table Napkins



These napkins are just in time for fall! Here are some great ideas for embroidery. You can also achieve the same look with some washable fabric paint and a stencil or an iron-on monogram letter.


Wall Art

Here are more fun and bright wall art designs like the one show above. You can use individual letters to spell your name, each with a different design, found here on Etsy.

Beach Goodies



















This beach bag is a wonderful alternative to the typical canvas types. To the right, this Pottery Barn towel can be found here.

Bedding

Classic hotel style bedding with a monogram from Potterybarn. I actually found this by accident on a super cute blog called Monogram Momma.




Coasters

Last but not least, is a super easy project that you can make to create some custom monogram coasters.



I started off with a package of 4 glass coasters that included the coaster holder which I got from Marshall's for just $8. I took out the inserts behind the glass and substituted two of them with my hubby's monogram which is a 'P' and two of mine which are the 'K' shown. I simply opened a word document and created the letters and enlarged then, selected the colors I wanted and fit all four on the page and hit print.


I then cut them down to size and slid them into the photo holder (originally these were sold as photo coasters). I may one day do that down the road but for today I'm happy with what we have now. I may do some seashells or a pretty damask print, or make each a different design later on with some pretty scrapbook paper. They would make a wonderful hostess or Christmas gift and you can usually find these glass coasters at Bed, Bath & Beyond as well as many other discount retailers and even Target.


I may just have to buy this little pillow I found on Etsy, if they are ever back in stock. This pillow was meant for me! It has my first initial and when I visited this etsy shop I noticed the seller added it on my actual birthday! However, they sold out the very next day! If I can't order one, I may just have to sew a simple pillowcase and handstitch those little aqua buttons myself. After all, I've been known to create a few custom pillows of my own.

If you love monograms as much as I do, leave us a comment with a link to some of your monogram projects or some favorites that you've come across on the web.
Cheers!