My Dad, My Hero

Sunday, June 20, 2010

{Proud Papa- father/daughter dance to 'butterfly kisses'.}

Today I'm celebrating Father's Day with my dad in my heart, although many miles apart. Growing up each year, I'd try my best to make him something special and he appreciated everything that I made whether it be a creative card, pottery or a drawing. In fact to this day it warms my heart that he has kept everything that I've made for him. During my last trip to California to visit him last November I saw something I made him when I was 8 years old on his bookcase, I had seen it out before in other homes he had lived in but forgotten about that pale pink pinch pot that sported a big heart on the front. He's such a strong yet sentimental kind of guy.



{Giggling while getting kisses from daddy.}



{On top of the world out on the lake behind our house.}

My dad was the type of dad that stayed up with me until 3a.m. helping me type out my complex science projects that were due the next day along with helping me organize the display board. In grade six it was hydroponics, the next year corrosion. He really helped me challenge myself and stretch my abilities. He taught me how to find creative solutions to complicated dilemmas, introduced me to gardening, composting and cooking too. He's a bit of a neat freak and it is to him that I credit for making me want to be so organized and neat. Not that my mom didn't do any of these things, just that he had a special way and the right amount of passion and patience for each to really allow me to learn.

We would pick cucumbers from our garden to make our own pickles and pulled ripe peaches off of our backyard tree and baked fun desserts together-he is who I get my sweet tooth from! ;) He encouraged me to be the strong, independent woman that I am today by being confident and completely self-reliant, responsible and hard working. He encouraged me to save money at an early age and told me he had wished someone had told him to do the same when he was twenty. He made me the handy woman that I am too. We built a pergola together for the backyard, drywalled the basement and even went shopping at yard sales together on weekends. He has definitely had a large impact and influence upon the person I am today. For these things I will forever be grateful, and above all he's got such a heart of gold and loves God.

I came across this sweet poem and thought I'd include it as it represents the way I feel toward my own dad.


MY HERO



As I ponder the love that I saw in his eyes,

A Godly love, given without compromise....

I recall many times that he stood by my side,

And prodded me on with great vigor and pride.

His voice ever confident, firm and yet fair,

Always speaking with patience, tenderness and care.

The power and might of his hands was so sure,

I knew there was nothing we couldn't endure.

It's true, a few others provided insight,

Yet, he laid the foundation that kept me upright.

He's the grandest of men to have lived on this earth,

Although he's not royal by stature or birth.

He's a man of great dignity, honor and strength.

His merits are noble, and of admirable length.

He's far greater than all other men that I know,

He's my Dad, he's my mentor, my friend and hero.



Happy Father's Day to all the single mothers who do the job of both mom and dad, to all of the daughters who are celebrating their dads, to those celebrating with their hubby who is the father of their children and to those who may be remembering their father or grandfather who is no longer here today.