Manners and Etiquette: Are Your Guests Starving?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010



After the majority of you responded to my previous poll some months ago with a wish for more posts on Manners & Etiquette, I've decided to share some bite-sized, weekly posts on Manners & Etiquette. No topic is off limits here-everything from meeting new people at a social gathering to what is and is not acceptable at the office. If you have a specific question for me, I'd love to answer it in an upcoming post! Just e-mail me and you can choose to share your name and or/city, or simply remain anonymous.



I try to keep this blog well rounded so that there is something for everyone, all while fulfilling the purpose of this blog which is to introduce new ideas, inspiration and advice for those that wish to become (or continue to be) the Classy Woman they've always desired to be.



I don't know about you, but when I have guests visit my home I like to make sure that I make them feel as comfortable as possible. New friends get shown where the ladies' room is and they are always offered a beverage and when staying for more than just a quick 10 minute drop-in, they are always offered a little something to munch on too.



Today's post was inspired by my own personal experience, when I was on the 'receiving end' some months ago. Have you ever visited a home where you weren't offered even so much as a glass of water, nevermind a snack?



A couple months ago, I visited a new friend, we had planned to talk about some news she had and spent the day catching up. In my mind, I only planned to stay about 2 hours but she had a lot to share with me, so I stayed a little longer. I realized it had quickly turned into a 5-hour visit! I was starving and was not offered anything at all, aside from water about an hour after I arrived. I asked my friend if she was interested in heading out to grab some coffee or a quick bite as I didn't want to impose, hoping she was just as hungry. But she explained that she was on a tight budget and preferred not to. It got to the point where I had to kindly wrap up our visit and head out to get a snack fast! Don't let this happen to your guests. Here are some basic tips on taking care of planned guests and drop-in visitors in a more casual, conversational setting.



1. Stock Up-Always keep some snacks stocked that you like and others would also appreciate-corn chips & salsa/guacamole (a staple in our home is Wholly Guacamole and Archer Farms' Organic Blue Corn Chips with Flax), crackers and cheese with some grapes, fruit for slicing up or presenting on a small platter or some mixed nuts-these don't break the bank and will have you guest ready.



2. Be Prepared-When you know guests are popping over for over 30 minutes, be sure to prepare something small-some blueberries, strawberries and green grapes on a platter look pretty and are always tasty. You could always have an inexpensive store-bought or pre-made dessert at the ready. Be sure to have a few options for drinks also-water, lemonade, iced tea, fruit juice, coffee, tea, soda are all acceptible beverages and are usually on hand in most homes. Be sure to place the food out just before your guest(s) are due to arrive and in a central location.



3. Hostess with the Mostest-Get in the habit of asking guests after they first arrive if you can get them some water or another beverage. This way, you won't forget to ask later and they won't feel awkward for having to ask. If you are extremely busy with your children, and you feel comfortable, you can always let family or very good friends know that your house is their house. If a guest has never been to your home before, be sure to be a good hostess and grab it for them. Try though to make a point of serving your guests, it not only makes for a good hostess but a lot of people feel uncomfortable going into someone else's fridge and cupboards.



Here is another post you might enjoy about the Etiquette of Hosting House Guests.



How about YOU? Have you ever left someone's home starving or feeling a little dehydrated? Maybe you were the one hosting guests and wondered afterward if you had prepared enough food?

I'd love for you to share your thoughts and any tips or recipes you have when it comes to 'being ready' for drop-in or planned guests!