Handmade Christmas Gift from Hubby

Tuesday, December 22, 2009



I promised you a few days ago, when I shared the 12 Dates of Christmas which was my gift to my husband last year, that I'd also share what he created for me.

If you've been following my blog for a while you probably already know that like me, my husband Paul is an Author, but he's also a great poet as well. I have been the lucky recipient of his beautiful poems for years and especially enjoyed the ones he would mail to me while we were dating.

When we were planning our wedding I thought it would be great to take one of my favorite poems that he wrote for me titled 'Dream Come True' and I had it printed on some gorgeous cardstock for each table in the reception area as another keepsake for our guests. Paul has actually written 18 book now including a 500-page poetry book filled with inspirational poems called Poems that Propel the Planet.

So, it should have come as no surprise that his gift to me was a book of poems, but I had no idea and this wasn't any old book. He took a cute pink flexi binder and filled it with poems affixed to scrapbook pages that he had purchased and then attached some embellishments and stickers to make it a fun, girly book that is now a cherished keepsake. How cute is that? He is such a manly man, but he happens to love pink and can rejoice with the girly things I love. This is just one of the reason's I'm hoping that our future first baby one day will be a girl. ;)

Here are some photos of the lovely book he created for me. These 10 poems were not super sweet, sappy poems, but rather well-thought-out, inspirational poems after a challenging year we both endured in 2008. Such is the life sometimes for us entrepreneurs! I wanted to show you the time he spent on creating this lovely book by sharing each page. I really enjoyed one cute poem in particular called 'Caring and Cleaning' where he shares his appreciation for my domesticity. He usually tells me so regularly, but it was fun to see it incorporated into a poem.

For those of you with less creative husbands, don't fret. Trust me, this doesn't happen everyday. We made a commitment last year to create homemade gifts and the gift itself could be anything that was made with our own two hands. I had no idea what to expect.

Yes, the blurry text for all of the poems below is intentional. *wink*.



Photo on book cover from our 2007 Caribbean cruise.































Although the others are blurred, here is a Christmas Poem he wrote last year that you all can read. Often times he writes for the masses (as is the case for this poem). I love the message and it's a good reminder to all of us that Christmas is much more than a stressful and chaotic shopping month involving huge expenses.

CHRISTMAS MINUS THE MESS

Christmas minus the mess


Is most glorious

Christ without merchandise


Is elegant and nice


Excessive shopping


Going here, there, and everywhere


Frantically looking and buying


Certainly this rat race


Has nothing to do


With seeking God's face


Neither adoring the Lord


Nor entering His loving embrace


On the contrary


It comes with a bit of distaste


As it drives you furiously


To go with the flow


Be like everyone else


Buy lest someone cry


Yet one thing you've not detected


The most important Person you've neglected


Christmas is about Christ


Have came from heaven to earth


Giving us his life


That we here below


May experience newness of life


Not that we'd consumed by black Friday


Holiday preparations and strife


Worried when finances are tight


Maxed out on credit cards


Borrowing beyond our means


Such things do demean


The very thing for which Christ died


Perhaps we need to reevaluate


And examine our hearts inside


Lest our foot soon slide


And we be overtaken by our sins


Christ came to empower us to win


Victory comes through Christ the King


By His Spirit He makes you to sing


Christ the Lord


Is fun and never bored


The Spirit of Christ


Moves you Godward


Cleanses your heart


From being froward


Baby Jesus was crucified


Nevertheless conquering disappointment


Christ rose from the grave


His life the greatest gift He gave


His sacrifice for souls to save


Christ rose again on the 3rd day


Now than what will you say?


With this Immanuel what will you do


The King of kings and Prince of peace


Who wholeheartedly died for you?

Did you hubby make or plan out something super creative for you as a gift? Tell us about it!Would you ever consider doing a homemade Christmas present exchange with your spouse?