12 DATES OF CHRISTMAS!

Thursday, December 10, 2009



With just two weeks left until Christmas, I thought it was only appropriate to share a fun homemade gift idea for those that wish to create vs. buy.

As promised in last week's 'Humble and Merry Christmas' post, I am sharing with you what I made for my hubby last year. The creating part was pretty easy but mine did involve a little bit of cash, however I stuck to my set budget.

All the details are below and this would make a great last minute gift to put together if you've run out of time or ideas because all you need is a computer and a printer!

THE 12 DATES OF CHRISTMAS

Last year my husband and I decided to exclusively give homemade gifts to one another so the time, creativity and thought put in was the most important part. We were both so excited to open up each other's handmade creations.

While searching last year for some insipiration before beginning, I stumbled upon and idea about the 12 dates of Christmas from an Oprah viewer who had done something similar with her husband, but theirs weren't presents, rather something fun to do during the holidays. I knew after hearing about it, that was what I wanted to create and I was thrilled that it would be a personal gift but one that I got to also enjoy and partake in. ;) While the gift was for him, it was also great for our relationship and we had a blast enjoying each date together.

Here is what we did and what my present looked like:

SUPPLIES

1. (13) identical envelopes and some cardstock or even regular printer paper will do. ( I preferred the durability of cardstock and the look of the overall finished product.)

2. Computer/Printer and microsoft word. You could also do this with a shabby chic effect and use some scrapbook paper and supplies instead of your computer.

3. Google: Images found via the web for each date and also to do some searches of what special and fun events are taking place in your area.

That's it!

I first wrote my hubby a special and personal letter and put it inside one envelope and attached it to a wrapped box filled with the other 12 envelopes or 'dates'. Each were hand stamped on the outside or decorated in some way too. Inside, the box contained 12 separate envelopes for him to open up, so it was like opening 12 different presents! Without further ado, I scanned the finished cards and uploaded them so here is what we did...






















*Yes, I do realize there is a typo on this salsa card. That's what happens when you try to multitask! ;)




















Stay tuned for my upcoming post to see what my husband's handmade gift for me was. It is something that I will cherish and keep forever. :)


Do you like to make handmade Christmas gifts? What have you made? What is the best homemade gift you've ever received?