What to Wear: Nautical Necessities

Friday, August 20, 2010

I know, I know I kind of missed the boat on this one in terms of timing (pun intended). Spring is now in our distant past and the end of summer is quickly approaching but I couldn't help but share a few of these nautical lovelies with you. Navy-inspired pieces are a lovely addition to any closet, they happen to be a personal favorite. You may remember me mentioning it in last week's What to Wear post.

Every year during spring/summer you can guarantee that there will be new takes on this old classic. Since my hubby and I are no strangers to a cruise ship, they're perfect for me to pack. They also make for great resort chic options in the winter months while on vacation. While summer is winding down, now is the time to pick up some of these pieces for next year at a steep discount! If you love stripes, anchors, sailboats, coral, boat knots, the sea, red, white, blue and yellow as much as I do, take a look at what I reeled in while surfing the net.

Here are a few sensational sailor finds:




Anthropologie does a great job here of pulling together a few classic pieces that provide this casual, but polished look. While I love a gladiator sandal, a ballet flat would seal the deal on this one for me.




I happen to have something nearly identical that I purchased from White House/ Black Market two years ago except mine has black and white details instead. I love the rope handle detail and pop of red here.


 

 This is still available for $34 at Newport News and I would love to buy it. I'm still debating whether I need it. ;)

 

This striped bikini top is perfect as is that camel colored tote-so versatile! Throw in a fedora for fun.



Splashes of sunny yellow brighten up an otherwise dark outfit.


 

This dress, although simple and casual, is quite versatile. Use it in a pinch over a swimsuit as a cover up, glam it up with some gold accessories for lunch with the girls or let it be the perfect dress for a stroll along the beach or a summer BBQ.



I love anchors, I happen to own a silver anchor necklace and I wear it often. This one is a great find at just $12.95!


I'm quite smitten with that cream rope bracelet. Those braided gold wedges would be very versatile but unfortunately would take this 5'9 1/2" girl to to about 6'2! LOL.



Cute one-piece option that is very simple but provides a bit of detail. Would be lovely with a cream sarong or red cover up.


 

I {heart} ruffles. They are pretty, flirty and fun!



These are said to be very comfy and they are a great shoe for bermuda shorts, a skirt, dress, or even linen pants.




I adore coral, this bib-style necklace is just stunning!





Gorgeous Chanel Bracelet. YES, Please!!



Seersucker shorts are a summer essential. The pleated skirt with red belt and tote bag are a couple of my favorites. This multi-colored bikini is a modern take on nautical.

 

This image describes my personal style. Classic, conservative and preppy but with a playful twist-a flirty little peek of the shoulder and a simple set of bangles. This look is timeless.



Over the past couple of years I've fallen in love with maxi dresses. I also love bags made from sail cloth. Those anchor adorned flats are a must-have.



I love wide-brim floppy hats-the rope knot is a fun twist. This little clutch/change purse is adorable.



 Glamour at sea.


These shorts are perfect and I love those navy wedges! A timeless red and white striped bikini is always in style. 

Do you love nautical style like I do? What are your favorite picks here or your own must-haves for the season? 

Speaking of photos, I have updated and personalized the sidebar to include some personal travel photos and some recent ones of my hubby and I too. I love getting to know the lives of other bloggers. It is my hope that with these and  future updates that you'll get to know me a little better too. :) I've also included some new link lists in my sidebar to the Manners Monday series and previous Reader Requests.

Happy Friday! I hope you'll all be spending one of the last weekends of summer doing something fabulous! I'll be working on a family photo wall, celebrating a friend's birthday tomorrow evening and heading to a beautiful local park for an afternoon picnic in the shade on Sunday. What lovely things do YOU have planned?