It's Not The Circumstances, It's You!

Monday, February 22, 2010


Do you feel frustrated by the state of the economy, your present weight, your job? Do you find yourself making excuses or blaming others for why you are in your present situation or circumstances? We've all been there and sometimes we recognize our actions more than other times. The great news is we are all capable of more and changing so we can take control of and better our lives.

Imagine what your life could be like if you stopped blaming your circumstances on other people and things and took responsibility of your own life. In Oprah's most recent e-newsletter, Mike Robbins gives you the tools you need to take control of your life and become more aware of your experiences.

Last year I subscribed to Oprah's Spirit Newsletter, while I don't read every single one, often I find some great little gems. Today, I wanted to share this topic with you because it affects ALL of us and determines how we live our life, experience our days and interact with those that we love.

This is a piece worth reading and reflecting upon inwardly. Since they are the words of Oprah's people and not me, I thought I'd create a link, you can read the full article HERE.

I also love this quote (which is also in the article) by Ben Franklin:

"Joy doesn't exist in the world, it exists in us." 

That is so empowering! How many times do we think about what we want, and sometimes feel sad when we cannot have it? That quote is proof that no matter what your circumstances, financial situation or present age, we are all capable of being completely happy and filled with joy, but it is our choice to bring that feeling and experience forth!

In a similar vein, I love this quote by spiritual teacher Byron Katie:

"The definition of insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."


Before blackberries, iPhones, microwaves, laptops and big shiny SUV's came into our lives we got along just fine. We are always capable of living on less than we think or living without things we believe we need, it's just a matter of our comfort level and decision to do so.

Oprah's article really resonated with me as I can see some of these little things in my own life and the lives of my close family. I also realized that growing up, some of their thoughts and beliefs about circumstances shaped my life at an early age. Some great, some not so great.

I've definitely been guilty of that, in my own mind I had built up reasons why I haven't completed certain projects in our home or haven't spent more time at the gym. The truth is that I just didn't make time for it in the past. Nobody and nothing else helped me make those choices. I chose to do other things instead, it's my own fault and only I can make the changes I want to see happen. You might remember, I had a little wake up call a few weeks ago and realized that facebook was a contributor to some of these areas, as it can be a huge time sink. However, it is my discipline in using such social media tools and not the tools themselves that were the problem. Taking some time away however by de-activating my account for now, was just the discipline I needed in order to refocus and make my priorities exactly that.

Is there anything in your life you've felt as though you need (and can't presently have) that you truly know you can live without? Have you felt as though you've been blaming your circumstances, lack of motivation or results on someone or something?  Feel free to share anonymously if you like.

Have an awesome week!