How I Saved $150 Today

Wednesday, February 17, 2010


I have a question to ask you all. How many of you set your bills to auto-pay and simply file the statements when the arrive? Do you review your grocery, restaurant or shopping receipts? If the answer is NO, you could be throwing hundreds of dollars down the drain every year without even realizing it!

This morning I received my monthly statement for my new AT&T internet service. I switched from wireless to a regular hardwired DSL service and saved quite a bit in the process and was thrilled to get a promotional credit for changing providers too. What I didn't know was that what seemed like a simple switch would involve some ridiculous billing rates. Upon receiving my bill, I reviewed it thoroughly and called the company. My service was supposed to be $24.99/month and my bill was for $168.03 so you can imagine my surprise when I opened it.

 When I had received my special rate I had documented whom I spoke with and their Rep ID number (as I always do) to keep for future reference for times like this.I also did the same when I had their tech support team come out and install a new jack, something that the company had to cover because there was a discrepancy between what I was promised with my service and what I had recieved. They also corrected my monthly billing rate which was more than double what was promised. Thankfully my call only took up 10 minutes of my time.  Sadly, some people set all of their bills to autopay, the money comes out and then months later (if they even realize it then) they're left with a much more difficult battle to get their money back. I was thrilled to have all fees except for my monthly rate removed.

Adventure #2 came when I visited my local grocery store. I had loaded up everything we needed, coupons in hand and watched most of the prices ring up as I unloaded my cart. Afterwards, I reviewed my bill and realized that one item was rung up twice in error. Hmm, I wonder how many times that happens per day? I also had a sale item ring up as full price. Between the two items, I was able to get back just over $7 after showing my receipt to the customer service desk.

With both the grocery error cash back and my internet billing error adjusted, I saved myself over $150 in one day by doing one simple thing-verifying that the prices were accurate. I highly encourage you all to take even just 2 minutes of your time to scan through every incoming statement on a daily basis and tackle these situations as they come up. You'll save yourself a lot of money and a huge headache in the end. I can't tell you how many hundreds of dollars I've saved over the  years with this easy tip!

Here are some other money saving tips to help you make the most of what you have:

1. How to Save More Money this Year
2. Fabulous Free Finds
3. Budget Decor Inspiration
4. Fabulous Decor Finds for Under $5
5. Dine and Save with Restaurant.com
6. Celebrate & Save
7. How to Save Money While Dining Out

What is the largest amount of money you were able to save yourself or 'catch' while reviewing your bills?