10 Rules for a Happy Marriage

Wednesday, September 26, 2012



I'm changing the pace a bit here today, I know many of you are married so I thought I'd share some tips for a happy marriage. Before I got married six years ago, my Aunt hosted a bridal shower for me and one of the fun things that the guests did was take turns sharing some marriage advice out loud with me and then wrote it down and each slip was placed inside a painted wooden box with a latch that now sits on the shelf in our family room. From time to time if I'm feeling sentimental I'll pull it off the shelf and read each one.

So, in addition to the 10 Rules for a Happy Marriage poster shown above, here are a few pieces of advice that were given to me in my advice box that you might find helpful....

Always compromise if you don't agree

Cherish each and every moment you spend together

Always remember that God put you two together for the greater good

Never go to bed angry

Remember to make time for yourself and continue to do the things you enjoy most


As we women tie the knot and spend our marital years learning and navigating the blissful moments as well as the choppy waters, we create our own rules and sometimes begin giving advice to others. One of my favorite pieces of advice came in the form of a Facebook comment on a post I wrote several months ago about the importance of being reconciled vs. right. She said the rule in her house is, "It's about what's right, not who is right". They focus on being a team and keeping in mind what is best for them as a couple instead of pointing fingers at one another and fighting over who is right. While that has always been the goal in our home (we often refer to ourselves as Team Davis) it hasn't always been easy with two strong minded and independent individuals. However, since I read that comment and shared it with hubby, we now make a point of reminding ourselves that it's about what is right and that nips any arguments in the bud.



What is the best advice you've been given about marriage or what advice would you love to give those who are just about to wed or maybe those who are struggling to stay together?

XO