Life's Little Luxuries

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

In life, the things I truly enjoy most are the little things. The sweet scent of a freshly bloomed rose, the feeling of sand between your toes while walking along the beach, hearing the words 'I love you' softly whispered into your ear or the warm breeze of the first true summer day.

Don't get me wrong, the big things can be wonderful and are always appreciated, but somehow it's the quirks and memories of the little things that have me reminiscing and make me smile.

Life's luxuries are definitely more than grand caribbean vacations, expensive Louboutins, or even an overpriced skin cream.

I have a girlfriend back home in Toronto who really lives her life this way to the fullest and she always inspires me to live it out in a greater way. To 'M', a meal at home with a few carefully selected ingredients is a luxury as are a few well chosen flowers to place in a lovely arrangement or a new set of inexpensive white dinner plates. She truly seeks beauty and wonder in everything. As a photographer, she captures the essence of these things in her photos.

Whenever I flew home and stayed with her in her tiny apartment, she always made it work. She had a fresh vase of flowers by the bed, a few well chosen items in the fridge for me to snack on, some ideas of new and free places to explore together. Many years ago she actually opened my eyes up to living more presently in the moment and truly enjoying what I have.

I remember telling her there was no point in buying new dishes when in several months I'd have a fashionable and practical, yet informal set that I could add to my wedding registry. She encouraged me to enjoy what I had and could afford then to the fullest, even if it meant buying a new set of bowls for $10 from Ikea that felt more like me than a random purchase I made when I had first moved out on my own.
To this day, I carry that inspiration and try to incorporate life's little luxuries into my day in any way I can. A warm cup of chai tea to start my morning, a square of dark chocolate while I curl up with a book, a relaxing bubble bath, elegant lingerie (even though hubby is away) for nobody at all but myself to feel pretty in and $4 bouquets of flowers that I can split into 5 small vases to brighten several rooms in my home.

Although the weather has been a little bleak, these reddish-orange beauties from my local grocery store have added a punch of much needed color to many of my favorite spaces for the past week. I know 'M' would be proud. :)


{a few blooms next to my laptop}


{a burst of color for our neutral bath}
BTW-the taupe walls are actually identical behind flowers and in mirror, appears yellow.


{a splash of red to our entry hall which complements the framed coral pic}


{pretty-ing up the stove behind my super easy & quick
greek salad with artichokes & chickpeas for protein}


{4 simple ingredients for an after dinner treat:
bananas, cinnamon, raw pumpkin seeds & almond butter=yummy!}


What are YOUR life's luxuries or daily indulgences that make you feel cozy, special, pretty and luxurious? I would love to hear from you!

Warmly,
Karla