Feeling a Little Crafty!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How has your week been so far? Lately I've been feeling really crafty but my dear friend time has not been on my side. There are a few things I'm hoping to make this month which are actually pretty easy projects, I just need a few spare hours to dedicate to getting them done. This image above is of an advent calendar that I really want to make. Isn't it elegant?

I did take a moment to do a quick change out of the hurricane vase on our tiny kitchen table in October. I usually fill it with fresh flowers or this shell orb. To give it a quick makeover I added a wheat sheath I trimmed down with a small white pumpkin nearby and kept the color palette the same since we live in coastal FL. But with Christmas upon is, it's time to switch it up yet again as well as the place mats and napkins too.




Karen from Strictly Simple Style wrote this wonderful post a few months ago about DIY cashmere cable knit pillows made from thrift store sweaters! I've been wanting to make one for a couple years now and given the price that Potterybarn commands, I think I'll stick to making my own and Target offers one for around $20 but I'm not a fan of the material or color selected.  I was so impressed with Karen's that I'm going to hunt down a thrift store sweater, keeping my fingers crossed that there are some in the right color and size.


Here is a pic of the last pillow I made with an existing down insert and a cheetah print fabric remnant for 75% off that I thought was fun and added a bit of personality to the bedscape. My challenge was an invisible zipper, and it turned out really well for a first attempt it now lives in the guest bedroom snuggled between two solid silk pillows from Tar-jay.



I was thinking back to some crafts/decor that I worked on in the past and realized that it's also time for me to paint some older furniture pieces in our home. We inherited a few from P's grandparents that I once disliked but now have a new excitement for as I envision how I will transform them with paint and new hardware. He was hesitant at first to alter them, but he's finally on board and ready for a change too. I'll post the details once I get that ball rolling.

I love recovering and repainting older pieces to give them new life and personality. Below is a little foot stool that hubby's grandfather made many years ago, and office chair that that I purchased off Craigslist for $30 and recovered, both are in the guest bedroom which also doubles as my office.




{Click HERE to see the original foot stool post and HERE to see the full office chair makeover.}





Today, I'm going to pick up some red harvest color roses and pop them into this new little living room centerpiece that I'm creating with old glass bottles and small vases which are hidden inside a basket that I picked up from a yard sale recently. It looks like it would be perfect for holding silverware on a picnic table in the backyard but the compartments are perfect for holding just about anything. Once filled, my goal is that it will appear as a large, lush and compact arrangement of roses where the dividers and glass containers will be fully hidden.



I love perusing craft and home decor projects via blogs and the web. I live for creating and Before & After pics! I know you all are a creative bunch so I thought I'd create a little linky party (my second one ever) so you could show off your latest creations or anything at all that you've made.

I cannot wait to see what YOU have been working on lately. Anything from a simple centerpiece, a new wreath, gifts you're making for family, a holiday mantle, a rehab furniture project or even a new recipe you've tried out. Please link up! :)



Warmly,