The Importance of Apologizing

Friday, July 20, 2012


I think a great rule in life to live by is to be quick to apologize and slow to anger or hold a grudge. I posted this up on our Facebook Page also (we'd love it if you'd join in the conversation!). The more people I talk to the more I learn that this is a problem. Many choose to withhold an apology because their ego is too big and they feel they need to win and have to be "right". 


I grew up in a home where one of my parents always felt the need to be "right" while the other one was gracious enough to put up with it for a long time. It got to the point that the person in question would cite facts and when they were validated would say things like, "See! Wasn't I right?". Witnessing this over the years, I could see how this contributed in some way to the downfall of their marriage because there was a lack of humility in some areas. I'm so thankful that I was able to learn this at a young age and take a lesson away from it long after my parents divorced when I was twenty. Not only in my own marriage but in friendships, it's so important to know when to apologize even if you've been hurt or you know something isn't your fault, for the sake of the relationship. None of us are perfect, all of us need grace from time to time.


A while ago, I wrote a post called 'Do You Want to be Right or Reconciled?' and if you're struggling with a relationship that you're frustrated by, I encourage you to read it or pass it along to someone that you know might benefit. It's also a good read/refresher for wives, living with someone else 24/7 is not always easy and there are bound to be times where you feel that your way is the better way, but we must not lose sight of the fact that at the end of the day a partnership is a team, we need to work together. :)

Happy Friday! I wish you all a fabulous weekend with the ones you love!

XO