How to Make Homemade Iced Coffee for Pennies

Friday, March 13, 2009



I'm no Starbucks-aholic, but I do enjoy a great Chai Latte or a Caramel Light Iced Frappuccino every now and then. Lately, I've even cut back on those as it is a "want" and clearly not a "need". In this economy, we need to be resourceful and as always, be good stewards of our money. So, I decided to look for a recipe online that would hopefully taste as good as the real thing, and guess what? I found one! So, I'm sharing with all of you so you can make your own too!


Compliments of Jodi over at 'Never Pay Retail Again', here is her original blog post on the subject. She found this recipe on Recipezaar. I tweaked mine a little, because we're almond milk drinkers at this house. So, here is what I put into mine:


Ingredients:


1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you can use soymilk or regular milk)

1 tsp of honey or agave 

1 tsp of sugar(or use equivalent in natural sweetener such as stevia or xylitol)

1/2 cup medium-strong coffee (I brew mine with a single cup percolator and add cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg to the coffee grinds before pouring the boiling water over)

1 cup ice cubes


Directions: Combine all ingredients (except ice) in blender, mix until sugar is dissolved. Now, add the ice and blend until smooth. If the consistency is too smooth, add some more ice. You can simply make it a coffee over ice by leaving the ice cubes whole just to keep it chilled.


I think it tastes best in my favorite tall glass (straw optional). You can alway add a little dollop of whip cream and some cinnamon or chocolate sauce on top for a decadent drink.


The homemade approach is such a great way to monitor the fat content, sugar and know what you are consuming. For just pennies a glass (I did a calculation of about 40 cents including everything vs. the regular $4 at SBUX. If you're a daily frapp drinker, that's roughly $1400 per year! Can somebody say v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n fund?!




Have a great day!

XO